These are some of Carol’s most commonly requested governance topics. She addresses these issues in a variety of formats according to your needs including board and staff retreats, workshops, keynotes, executive coaching and long-term consulting.
- Who should serve on your board?
- Where do you find them?
- What is the best approach?
- What do you expect of them?
- How do you effectively communicate your expectations?
- What is the difference between governance and management?
- Who should be involved in recruiting? The role of the board and staff
(also called On-Boarding or Induction)
- Training your board in your case statement
- Questions to ask your new board members
- Clarifying expectation
- Finding the right fit for talents
- Creating a “mission moment”
- Effectively using the executive committee
- What should be a standing committee
- Creating a template for committee reporting
- Working with committee chairs
- How to get people to attend?
- What do you do if they don’t show-the tasty carrot or the dreaded stick (is there a stick for your board?)
- Utilizing everyone’s strategic thinking abilities in the board room
- Tips and techniques from popcorn check-ins to red and green flags
- Using a scrum with staff
- The joys of a consent agenda
- Handling difficult people
- Handling non-difficult people (your silent, thoughtful folks who don’t share their great ideas
Creating Mission, Vision and Values Statements
- How are we?
- What are we going to do?
- How do we know if we are successful?
- What is the ethical standard by which we do business?
- Who should be involved in the process?
- How many goals should we have?
- How should we evaluate our goals?
- Who should set the evaluation criteria?
If any of these topics are of interest to you, call Carol at 314-863-4422 or e-mail her.
- Articles About Governance
- 9 Tips for Recruiting a Fundraising Board
- A Rabbi, a Hispanic and a Siek Walked into a Board Room
- Board Exit Interviews
- Creating a Prenuptial Agreement Between a Executive Director and a Board President
- Emeritus Board Members
- Is the Knowledge in the Room?
- New Year’s Resolutions for a More Profitable New Year for Your Nonprofit
- Should we get an intern to do that… Brilliant Idea for Time Suck?
- The World’s Best Board Member
- Board Recruiting
- Board Retreats
- Governance Webinars
- Inappropriate Touching: Lessons learned from a first-grade teacher
- Volunteer Topics
- Whack’em and Plaque’em or Friends for Life: Term Limits